It’s been awhile! Life has been pretty hectic (I’ll touch on that later) but one thing i’ve been doing is keeping myself entertained with Korean Dramas. Guys, I started watching K Dramas during chemotherapy and never stopped, they’re addictive like that. So, If you’ve gone through my previous lists and aren’t afraid of subtitles, love a good plot and cinematography that takes your breath away then these shows are for you. I’m going to try and break them down into categories so you can choose easily.
HISTORICAL:- Raise your hand if you’ve been personally traumatized by the Joseon era… (Just kidding) but this is not for the weak. You will find action, romance, love, and subterfuge. Please be warned, even if you get a happy finale, I can’t promise you that you wont be hella stressed along the way. Nevertheless, it’s absolutely worth it.
- The King’s Affection – Netflix | Twins aren’t allowed in this era they are seen as an abomination. So when the crown prince is killed, his twin sister assumes the throne while trying to keep her identity and affection for her first love a royal secret.
- 100 Days My Prince – Netflix & Viki | Ok THIS was funny and stressful at the same time. Upon losing his memory, a crown prince encounters a commoner’s life and experiences unforgettable love as the husband to Joseon’s oldest bachelorette.
- The Red Sleeve – Viki | This is actual an adaptation from a book which bares the same name. It’s a lot of romance and I’m not going to lie, you WILL CRY. It tells the record of a royal court romance between the King of Joseon who believes his duty is to his country first above love, and a court lady who wants to protect the life she has chosen. And is loosely based off of real life events.
- Lovers of the Red Sky – Viki | This is about fates being crossed. Set in the Dan dynasty, this is a love story featuring ghosts, demons, and gods. Hong Chun Gi , an extraordinary who was born blind but then gains vision falls in love with Astrologer who was born with sight but later becomes blind. He is able to carve the trajectory of the night sky and see into the future. The two meet and fall in love, but are sucked into the political games of the royal court. Will their love survive?
I genuinely feel as if I’ve watched way more historical themed shows but those are top of mind right now. Next up is
REVENGE:- Revenge is a dish best served cold and these shows will fill you right up! Full of twists and turns and formidable villains you’ll be on the edge of your seat trying to figure out the next move. When I tell you I GENUINELY
- Vincenzo – Netflix | Ok with I first saw this I was like … IDK a Korean who grew up in Italy that’s also a lawyer? But, this was soooo good. It is such a good show and one of staples I recommend to anyone who wants to try Kdramas for the first time. Here’s the show’s synopsis : A consigliere to an Italian mafia returns to his motherland Seoul. In doing so, he becomes embroiled in a legal battle against a large conglomerate and reluctantly takes on the fight for justice along with a cold-hearted female lawyer.
- Lawless Lawyer – Viki & Netflix | I would be remiss if I mentioned Vincenzo and not Lawless Lawyer. They have similar settings in regards to gangster turned lawyer but the storyline for Lawless is a bit more intense as it involves pure revenge. The Lawless Lawyer uses loopholes in the system to get revenge for his mother’s suspicious death. He plans to take everyone down.
- Taxi Driver – Viki | This is an excellent show that will have you struggling with who you side with, the ones taking revenge or the police who are working to do it the legal way. Based off the webtoon Deluxe Taxi by Carlos and Lee Jae-Jin this series covers a taxi driver who works with the rainbow taxi company to get revenge on behalf of their passengers… for a fee of course.
- The Devil Judge – Viki | Set in an extremely dystopian society the judge befriends the higher ups and makes the court into a form of reality show. Kept in check by his young apprentice, no one is ever truly sure if the judge is there for justice, power or his own revenge.
- My Name – Netflix | We start out with our main character seeing her father killed right before her eyes. She decides to join the criminal underworld and then infiltrate the police force undercover to bring down everyone who is responsible for his death. There’s a plot twist so pay attention.
- Military Prosecutor Doberman – Viki | Military Prosecutor Do Bae Man (Ahn Bo Hyun), only took the job to gain both personal and professional success and wealth. Having hit his goal , gaining both success and wealth he no longer has anything more to drive him, he lacks the conviction needed to become truly great. In comes Cha Woo In (Jo Bo Ah), Some may see her as a rookie who only attained her position through family wealth and connections, she is more than what people see and her main and only goal is revenge for her father’s death. The only problem? She needs Military Prosecutor Do Bae Man on her side. Can she convince him to put all he has achieved at stake to help her?
- K2 – Netflix | Here’s the show synopsis. In K2, Kim Je Ha is a mercenary soldier framed for a crime he didn’t commit. Known as K2, Je Ha seeks revenge with the help of the ruthless Choi Yoo Jin, the owner of JSS Security Company and wife of a presidential candidate.
ROMANCE: – Who does romance and romantic comedy like K Dramas? Nobody! Lol. Let’s just put it out there, some are a rollercoaster and you are going to be on a ride BUT the following are all great shows that brought me some form of joy
- Business Proposal – Netflix | Fadda, I do not know who fool and awkward like Shin Hari but she’s adorable. This Romantic comedy that will definitely make you laugh until you cry. In disguise as her friend, Ha-ri shows up to a blind date to scare him away for her friend. But plans go awry when he turns out to be her boss — and makes a proposal that she finds hard to refuse.
- King Eternal Monarch – Netflix | This is a little spicy sci-fi A modern-day Korean emperor passes through a mysterious portal and into a parallel world, where he encounters a feisty police detective.
- Ghost Doctor – Viki | This is definitely one of my favourites for this year so far. Do not let the name fool you it isn’t scary in a paranormal activity way. This is actually one of the best K Dramas I’ve watch so far this year. When a young but nonchalant doctor develops amazing surgery skills, everyone starts getting suspicious. The rumours begin that he’s possessed by the resident doctor who is in a coma. Little do they know both are fighting for their lives.
- Search:www – Viki & Netflix | Ok this show is what I call a unicorn. I didn’t expect anything from it, I was literally bored on a weekend scrolling Netflix and decided to click on it and man was I rewarded. It covers an older woman falling for a younger man (10 yr difference) and the struggles they go through. In the world of Kdramas they’re pretty open about all that happens. She also struggles with her job and relationships at work as well and just the dynamic around this relationship fitting into her life . This was really really good.
- Crazy Love: Disney+ | When this timid secretary finds out that she doesn’t have time left the same time her overbearing boss gets amnesia she takes it as a sign for revenge. However, things take a turn and somehow love grows. It’s hilarious and fun and really is a lesson on not judging a person unless you truly know them.
CRIME: Suspense, heart racing, edge of couch, biting pillow, throwing pillow when it’s not who you suspected? If this sounds like a good time then these shows are for you.
- Stranger 1 &2 – Netflix | When I say this show is EXCELLENT?! I mean it . With the help of a gutsy female detective, a prosecutor who has lost the ability to feel empathy tackles a murder case amid political corruption.
- Through The Darkness – Viki | Based on a novel, the story is set in a time where Criminal Profiling is still a novel concept in society. Kwon Il Yong, a police officer since the early 1990s becomes South Korea’s first criminal profiler in 2000. He gained public acknowledgment for his achievements in profiling several serial murderers under the criminal behaviour analysis team.
- Beyond Evil – Netflix |When people ask me about this drama I explain to them that half way through this show I paused it and googled who wrote it. Why? Because I needed to know the name of WHOEVER wrote this. This show had me effed up I will not lie but it’s sooo good. As a killing resembling a cold case resurfaces in a small town, the chase for the truth falls on two policemen who each harbor secrets of their own.
This is not every drama that i’ve watched. I didn’t want the list to be too long. Let me know If you want a part 2.
Faith & Love,
Don’t forget to link me on :